Ethics 101

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Today I encountered one of those darn ethical dilemmas that presents itself every once in a while. Abbster and I went to Target earlier this afternoon, and aside from spending way more than I should have (Jodi Picoult's new book was just released and they had a sale on shoes, so I had excuses!) and the checkout girl referring to Abby as a "he" (in her defense, Abby was dressed in orange and for some reason we registered for a navy blue cart cover), we had a pleasant outing. I love Target. I think we were there over an hour.

Anyhoo, we checked out, I signed away a couple of hours' worth of Matt's pay (ha), and we proceeded to our car. You moms know what it's like shopping with a baby. You have to load bags, put the baby in the car seat, get them secure, lock the doors, return the cart, dodge oncoming soccer moms in minivians...it is a calcluated event. Well, as I unloaded my last bag, I noticed the box of Mylicon I had put in the cart earlier. It was stuffed in the back corner. I thought that it must have fallen out of one of the bags, but something told me that that wasn't the case. So, I returned my cart, got in the car, cranked on the A/C and scoured the receipt. Wipes. Diced peaches. Eye Makeup Remover. But no Mylicon. I suddenly realized that I had, mistakenly, shoplifted! Truth be told, I contemplated what I should do. A huge part of me thought that mistakes happen. After all, I hadn't purposely forgotten to put the Mylicon on the conveyer belt. And it was only $6.49. Would Target really miss that? I mean, come on. Plus, I had already gotten Abby in her car seat, and going back in would require me to get her back out, go back in, and wait in line. I was already too hot, ready to get home, and she was already content in her seat. I asked myself was it really worth it?

And then I came to the answer. I have values. Morals. Ethics. It would have been very easy to just drive off and not think about it ever again. But the truth is, if I did that, every time I would put drops of Mylicon in Abby's bottle, I would feel so guilty. Seriously. I would. That's just how I'm programmed. I know a lot of people don't really get that, but that's just how my mind works. It wasn't worth saving $6.49 in order to have a guilty conscience for the rest of my life.

So, after contemplating the dilemma for a couple of minutes, I hightailed it to a closer parking space, unloaded Abby, Mylicon in hand, went back in, and waited in line again. The checkout lady was much appreciative of my action. And I have to admit that I felt better about myself too. Those few minutes it took for me to go in and pay my $6.71 were worth it to me. I drove home with a clear conscience and a happy baby in the backseat. I mean, that's what life is all about, right?

So, kudos to you, Mom and Dad! Your parenting really paid off. :) However, the next time I'm at McDonald's and they accidentally give me a large fry instead of a medium, I'm not saying a word. That would be like a little gift from heaven. That's what is referred to as Divine Intervention. And there's no reason to question that, right?? :)

3 comments:

The Johnstons said...

That story is GREAT! I would have done the same thing...at McDonald's too! :)

Unknown said...

I would have not expected anything less from a special person like you and life will reward you many times over for all the inconveniences! How lucky Abby is to have you for a Mom! I love the story, it made my day! Love to all, Linda and Jim

Julie said...

What you did was so admirable, Cathy. I really have to give you 2 thumbs up... and I would've done the same thing, almost, maybe, ok I'm really not sure I would've gone to the trouble!

Got your comment on myspace... I thought I would tell you that I've started my own little photography/design business. You can find it at www.photojewelsphotography.com. The camera itself (which is much less important than the lens you are using ), is a Nikon D40x DLSR. If you want more info, let me know!