Nap Mat Drama

Thursday, September 4, 2008

When I received Abby's information packed about MDO earlier in the summer, I read that she needed a Nap Mat. I had no idea what that was, to be perfectly honest. I was surprised that they had an allotted naptime for the kids, but I put off learning more about it until a couple of weeks ago. During Abby's naptime one day, I googled Nap Mat. I clicked. I gasped. These Nap Mat things are expensive! 20, 30, up to 50 dollars for some little rectangular piece of fabric that my daughter will probably never take a nap on?? You have got to be kidding me!!

So, at Meet The Teacher, a question was asked about Nap Mats. You can bring any kind you want, the teacher said. She even pointed to some plain blue ones stacked in the corner. Works for me, I thought. I had no problem with being cheap. As Abby and I left, we passed the Church Moms selling super cute, plush, luxurious, decorated Nap Mats. FOR $38!!!! Seriously. My eyes widened at the sign. $38? For a Nap Mat?? Wow.

Being the procrastinator that I am, I had no Nap Mat for Abby, and MDO was less than a week away. Oh, I can find you a nap mat, my mom said when I talked to her that day. Let me call around. Within minutes, she had secured a Nap Mat--a less than $8 Nap Mat. It's just a simple plastic mat, she told me. Fine by me. I love Abby to pieces, but I just couldn't see spending $38 on a nap mat. That seemed a bit excessive to me.

Last Friday, my parents visited, and the new nap mat was delivered. Abby instantly liked it. It was hot pink on one side, blue on the other, and it was as plain as plain can be. Worked for me.

Fast Forward to yesterday. I park the car along with every other type of SUV you can imagine. All the moms have on yoga pants and hair in ponytails. Kids are carrying super cute Dora and Superman backpacks. I have Abby's diaper bag in one hand and her sadly plain Nap Mat in the other. And then it hits me. Every kid--and I mean EVERY kid--we see is carrying a super cute, plush, luxurious, decorated Nap Mat. Suddenly, the sad little gym mat in my hand started to stick out like a sore thumb. We passed more kids and more super cute, plush, luxurious, decorated nap mats. I began to feel embarrassed and question my choice of sleep aid for Abby.

When I went back to pick Abby up, I felt like super cute, plush, luxurious, decorated nap mats were everywhere that I looked. I asked Miss Amy, Abby's teacher, if Abby was the only one in her class to have the sad little gym mat. Well, we had some kids with this one last year, she replied. Yikes. I suddenly pictured Abby cold and shivering, sleeping on the icy gym mat, while toddlers next to her slept like kings and queens, heads on down pillows, wrapped in warm, comfy blankets. Poor Abby!

So, this morning, we stopped by the church, I whipped out my checkbook, and we are now the proud new owners of a $38 super cute, plush, luxurious, decorated nap mat. Whew. Do I know how to cave or what??


New vs. Old. Butterlies vs. Plastic. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cathy, you are hilarious!!! I'm glad that Abby will not be cold and shivering on her old, plastic nap mat :) We bought Faith one a while ago and it was pretty expensive...oh the things we do as moms!!

The Venables said...

Seriously, hilarious! I gotta say I probably would have caved too! That new nap mat is super duper cute and just think of all the years of use you will get out of it!:) I'd say it's a great investment. Abby is one stylin' chica now! Can't wait until they turn 16.....I'm sure we won't be feeling the pressure then! It all starts with a nap mat, then designer jeans and then....BOOM...gotta have a brand new car! Good luck.....I know I will need it.:)

The Johnstons said...

hilarious, as i can totally relate! except you're missing the monogrammed name on it...gotta have that to keep up with the jones' around here! :)

Julie said...

Oh so funny! LOL... I could totally picture the whole thing. You'll be glad you spent the $38! :)