Moo and A Choo-Choo

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Abby started to have fever on Sunday, and she has been fairly crabby the past two days. (Of course, she still has daily doses of "The Terrible Twos," but she had been fussier than normal.) Also, her sleeping has been awful, waking up screaming every three hours or so. Tuesday's nap was cut short after one hour as I suddenly heard uncontrollable screaming coming from her room. Upstairs I ran to find her sobbing in her crib. I tried rocking her. Still screaming. I tried to sing her a song. Still screaming. I tried to read her a book. Sip of water. Rocking her some more. Still screaming. Nothing worked. This went on for 30 minutes! Finally, I turned on Dora, put her in the big, cozy chair, gave her a bowl full of Goldfish, and finally, she calmed down. Holy cow. Talk about an exhausting 30 minutes!

So, by yesterday when she still was crabby, felt warm, and had a rash on her hiney that had been perplexing me for three days, a phone call to the doctor was made. We got in at 4:00, saw the nurse practitioner (our pediatrician wasn't in the office yesterday afternoon), and she looked Abby over. Ears were clear but her throat was really red. Luckily no strep. Ulcers in mouth. A few red spots on her feet and hands. And red spots all over her hiney, which I knew wasn't a diaper rash because even with cream it hadn't cleared up. She then diagnosed her with Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Now don't confuse this with Hoof and Mouth Disease, better known as Mad Cow Disease. At first, I had visions of crazy sick collapsing cows in my head. Luckily this is not the same thing. Just a common viral infection. Whoo. I mean, I knew Abby loved milk and all, so I was relieved when Nurse Debbie said they weren't related. :) And that was that.

I kept her from MDO today, because it's super contagious, although the nurse said because it's harmless and Abby didn't have fever that it was OK, I sided with caution and we went to Party City shopping for her birthday party decorations instead. (Don't worry: I wiped down the cart she rode in!)

So, that's what's been going on with us. Never a dull moment with kiddos, is there?? I'll leave you with some pics of the past few days:

Abby Loves her some choo-choo trains, so as we were playing with her Huggies box the other afternoon, and she said, "Choo-choo," I had an idea. Some cutting, taping, and wrapping later, voila! Abby's Apple Express was created. Fun, fun! She loves to walk around the house in it yelling "Choo-choo...Choo-choo!!!!"
Here she is watching her daddy mow. This is one of her favorite things to do. And no, do not adjust your monitors. That is NOT, in fact, an 18th hole on a golf course. (That was for you, Matt! :) ) Laughing at her daddy
Happy Wednesday, folks! :)

2 comments:

The Johnstons said...

What a cute train!! And that is one good lookin' yard, Matt! :) Glad Abby is feeling better.

Unknown said...

LOVE the Apple Express! Glad she is feeling better!