The Postest With The Mostest

Monday, December 8, 2008

I just hit my 101st post. Is that possible? Wow! So, now that I've broken past the century mark, it is only fitting that today's post be big, right? Considering the time of year, what could be bigger than Santa? (Other than Jesus, of course, but Abby is unable to sit on Jesus' lap. And, by the way, I'm fairly certain Jesus wouldn't try to rip us off by asking for a MINIMUM of $17 to snap a pic with him, right??)


Anyway, we went to meet our friends up at the mall this morning, and because they were running a few minutes late, and I noticed that the line to see Santa had only two people in it, I thought, Why not?! Abby was dressed "festive" enough, and frankly, the closer we get to Christmas, the longer the wait time is to see Santa (I waited over an hour last Christmas), so this morning, a sit on his lap it was!

I'll admit it lacked the pomp and circumstance of last year. Last year, I felt like Ralphie in A Christmas Story. I kid you not--I was so nervous and excited about seeing the jolly ol' man. Isn't that silly? I remember feeling deflated when I saw the zig-zagging line of parents and their kids from afar. I got to the end of the line and prayed that Abby would be content enough in her stroller to last the long wait. But I also remember the excitement that occurred after we inched our feet closer and closer: as I approached the post that held the velvet rope, feeling triumphant that I was able to turn the stroller the opposite direction. I was now zigging instead of zagging! Success! And once we made the final turn, I swear I felt like a three year old, giddy about seeing Santa "in the flesh." There was something magical about the mall and its holiday decor, the Christmas music playing over the speakers, little boys in suits and girls in their Mary Janes and little bows in their hair.

Fast forward to today. Fanfare-less. Oh well. Abby was pretty excited about seeing him, but once she was in his actual lap, she froze. She just stared straight ahead at the camera, not ever looking at him. The picture takers were jumping up and down, jingling toys, doing everything they could to get her to smile. But nothing. Blank stare. I finally tickled her, and this was as good as it was going to get!! I was pleased though. Once she got off his lap, she was super excited because she got some stickers, and that was very thrilling!

Perhaps next year she'll actually talk to him! Ha!

So, here is her Santa pic, 2008!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

It is precious!! She looks more prepared for the photo than Santa himself!!!