Newest Grandma Update

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Grandma's biopsy results came back this morning, and they revealed what we already expected: that she has Stage IV lung cancer that has spread to her bones. She has decided to go ahead with radiation, so that is wonderful news, and treatment begins tomorrow afternoon. I will tell you that GM has been discouraged lately; who can blame her? But luckily this morning she seemed to be in better spirits. As my mom told me, I can't think too much about this diagnosis. It really does make my stomach churn and I choose not to go there. Pastor Tom's sermon Sunday could not have come at a better time, nor could it have been about a better topic: fear. As I sat there in that pew, he reminded us that worrying solves nothing; in fact, it can be downright debilitating, and that only about two percent of what we actually worry about comes to happen.

So instead of focusing on the "what if", I'll remember these Bible verses. Gosh, they certainly help.

Philippians 4:6-7
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 6:30
And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

1 Peter 5:7
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.

And for my personal favorite...

Matthew 6:27
Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

Ah, I feel better. Honest. God, I know Grandma is in your hands. And at 29 years of age, the reality of all of this is sinking in. I don't like this diagnosis, but I, Cathy, have no control over what happens, and that's why I have faith in You.

Thanks again for all of you prayers and support. Keep 'em coming.

2 comments:

H said...

We love you and are praying for you (and grandma of course). Give her a big hug from me when you see her.
Love,
Cuz Holly

Unknown said...

We will continue to pray...great line-up of verses you have there.