What Abby's Been Up To These Days

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The other day, I wrote down on a piece of paper funny conversations/things Abby's done here lately so I wouldn't forget. With her being two, the list grows daily. But I thought I'd share some of what's on the list with you. Enjoy! :)

A conversation that took place two weeks ago:
Me: Abby, is Daddy a girl or a boy?
Abby: A girl.
Me: No, silly. He's not a girl. If he's not a girl, then what is he?
Abby (thinks about it for a second): A babe!

If Abby's unhappy with me, she says, "Time Out, Mommmmmmy! Big trouble, man!" Oy. She really is a schoolteacher at heart!

The other morning I had come down dressed for church. Abby was sitting at the kitchen table with Matt, and she stopped what she was doing, looked up and me, and said, "Aww, Mommy! Pretty!!" That was the first time she'd ever said that. I'll admit I teared up a bit.

She loves to watch herself do things in the mirror. The other morning during breakfast, she held my compact and watched herself eat Cheerios. Uh-oh. Vanity's starting early.

Abby can count to twenty. Well, sort of. This is how she says it, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 18, 20." Those others aren't that important, right??

Another conversation from the park a couple of weeks ago, as we were talking about God giving us rain, as the ground was SO very dry that day:
Me: Abby, where is God?
Abby: In the book.
Me (laughing): Yes, Abby, that's right. He is in your books we read, but can you show me where he is right now? (Hoping she'll point to the sky as she knows to do.)
Abby (thinking long and hard): Over there! And she proceeds to point to the man mowing his yard across the street.


After Abby completes a task she's put effort into, she ALWAYS yells, "TADA!" when she's done. I love that.

She is very quick to apologize.

Abby's new obsession is with direction. "Over there, Mommy?" she asks when we're driving, curious which way we're going to go. "Oh, not there. Right over there, Mommy?" she'll ask. She's trying to learn left and right, but here's the problem with that:
Abby (pointing out the window to the left): Left, Mommy?
Me: Yes, Abby! That's right! Left! You're right!
And then I realize just how unbelievably confusing my statement is. No wonder Abby can't get them straight!! Note to self: begin using the word "correct" instead of "right"!

She MUST open and close/turn on and off everything! I don't know the last time I shut a door or turned on a light!!

Another conversation as she's about to walk up the stairs:
Me: Abby, do you need help?
Abby: No, Mommy. I a Big Girl.
She told me!

At the end of Dora or Mickey (her current favorites), when the theme music comes on, she stands up and yells, "Dancing Time!!!!!" loudly and we have to grab hands and dance. If you're in the room, dancing with her is a must!

She is on a major carb and fruit diet lately. Girlfriend would eat bread 24 hours a day if she could!

If I ask her what being a Big Girl means, she'll reply, "No Fussin'!"

Abby can work my iPhone. She knows how to unlock it, scroll to my DoodleBuddy application, draw a picture, change the background of the picture, take a picture to color, and then clear it all to start over again. All at two years old! And I thought playing Oregon Trail in elementary school was impressive!

She randomly spits out words/events from a long time ago. Yesterday after she woke up from her nap, the first thing she said was, "Dora and Boots on monkey bars on TV." Oh, OK. And she still talks about the 4th of July fireworks at least three times a week.

She is a Sponge! But of course all kids this age are. It is so scary how much they pick up! Just today while I was in line at the bank, Abby said, "Oh my gawwwwwsh!" just like I do. I didn't even realize I had said it while I was driving. Like I said, scary, people!

Abby's new game while driving is looking for American flags. Her BeBe and Pops have taught her about where she lives (in Texas) and instructed her that when you see an American flag to put your hand over your heart. So now, in the car, when she spots one she yells, " 'Merican flagggggggg!" and then she says, "Look, Mommy!" And sure enough, she has her hand over her heart. So cute. Today, I put my hand over my heart too, and she didn't like that. Her response, "No, Mommy! You drive car." Oh. Got it. Did I mention she likes telling people what to do? Ha! :)

And last, but not least, she LOVES hip-hop music! Her current favorite? Lady Gaga. Seriously. As soon as one of her songs comes on, she yells, "Lady Gagaaaaaa!" and dances with the music. It's hilarious. And when the song ends, she cries!

That, my friends, is what Abby's been up to these days. Ah, I feel better having written all of that down. There's nothing better than the written word.

Stay tuned for zoo pictures soon! I'm off to paint her bathroom!

2 comments:

The Venables said...

Precious as always. Just love little girls! That Abby reminds me so much of Mabry. What lucky Moms we are (most days:)!

The Johnstons said...

Loved reading all about what Abby has been up to. They are at such a fun and funny stage..and a tiresome one. Parker is definitely going through the "terrible twos" right now and we have had lots of battles. I don't know if it's all in the age or if Mommy having a baby really soon is making him so crazy. This too shall pass, right?!?